Saturday, November 22, 2008

We've been here 2 weeks!

It seems so natural and yet so foreign!

I finished the week of subbing I was not expecting but enjoyed it and was not as tired as Melissa thought I would be and we are settled in our new apartment. Colleen made a supper of steak, baked potato and cooked carrots to celebrate both! She just needs to find the store with recognizable salt in a reasonable quantity. We had dinner at TGIFriday's to celebrate a friend of Melissa's birthday. Just one more thing we can't do in Saskatoon.

I taught classes of 11, 6, 7, 9, 5, 2 kids for a total of 28 hours this week from 2-9:15 most days; it sure was a mind and body shift to have free time at the beginning rather than the end of the day! We are about a 6 minute walk from the train and MRT, 20 minute ride to my school, and then a 20 minute walk to the school (or a 5 minute taxi ride (about $4 CDN)). The train is about 80 cents cdn each way! I walked a couple days and then the owner loaned me a scooter to go from the train to the school. 21 degrees feels nice in shorts but very chilly zipping along on a scooter. I won't be able to take the taxi because I forgot and left the handwritten card in my shirt pocket and the sweat made the ink absorb into the paper. At least it wasn't into my shirt!

We've made a few independent outings and at least 1/4 have resulted in EXCESSIVE, UNNECESSARY walking due to wrong turns and poor bearings. We will get better oriented in the next week, after all there are only a few places to get mixed up!

Tomorrow is Church again, Melissa is on for Worship team so we will be there in under 10 hours. Wow It's our third Sunday! Now we can start to listen for God's guidance for our involvement here. We have a Thanksgiving dinner at the school's owners tomorrow evening so this will be our second American Thanksgiving dinner here. We are truly thankful for all of God's blessings , here and in North America.

Please leave comments and ask any questions. And those occasional 'anonymous' commenters, please add your names to your comment so we can better appreciate your interest and caring for us.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Steve and Colleen. Glad to hear that you are adjusting to life in Taiwan. You are really going to miss winter... however, it has not really arrived yet! Any day now, I'm sure.
Pastor Dave and Jackie were here this weekend... I am very excited for the "team" he is building around him and the vision for ministry that he has.
Enjoy your American Thanksgiving. Best wishes. Maurice and Linda