Friday, December 05, 2008

Part of my Taiwan Dream Picture has come true

Melissa stopped and picked up dinner after teaching, stopped at our place for us to eat together then off to get things ready for a trip to Taichung and Taipei for the weekend. Ah, life is sweet! We are getting together with Free Methodists from a variety of cities tomorrow afternoon and then going to Taipei to visit Chris and Nevada, He's speaking on Sunday. Then back to Kaohsiung on the High Speed train for Monday teaching. WORK, WORK, WORK!

I get home from teaching about 8 and often Colleen and I will go out to the grocery store about 4 blocks away for a few things for the next day or so. Most of the snacks other than potato chips have just enough mystery to the flavour or contents we have not found a favourite yet. Only a few 'one timers'. Many staples and common items are available at prices similar to Saskatoon and quite a few are lower. I think I've mentioned before that western restaurant type food, TGIFriday's, Pizza Hut, McDonald's are similar and maybe slightly higher than in Canada.

On the way up the exit stairs at Gangshan on the way to school today I noticed "Emergency evacuation methodology" which is true but the typical NA English would translate a bit differently. Language nuances are so interesting. Yesterday one of the kids accused me of speaking Chinese because I could say the name of her city, Ciaotou, that sounded just like it does in Chinese. I've now had all of my classes at least twice and reconnected with a few from the other classes I subbed a couple weeks ago. I like it other than the STAIRS, mind you they aren't quite as demanding as they were the first week of subbing.

Well almost midnight again. Love and hugs to all, even if you might be one of those where a hug might seem borderline inappropriate!

PS I may have to wear long past this weekend! There is a cold front moving across the north part of the island and we may see overnight temps of 10! It was very brisk on the scooter at 18 degrees, short sleeves and shorts................I know cry you a river!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dried Mango...yummy snack.
Brenda