Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Another day another memory

Tuesday's Melissa has a couple extra hours off in the afternoon so we often do a 'field' trip.  This week we went over near the Jade Market to the 'Indian' store and also to a new bakery/coffee shop just a block or so from it.  WELL, the clothing wasn't of much interest so I wandered around, went through a couple shops in the Jade Market.   The market is actually only open Wednesday morning but it wasn't the primary target.

When I exhausted the easy options I just stood and looked around.  I noticed a woman go get her husband from inside their shop.  I don't know WHAT they sell.  I do know he used to live in Kansas City, MO where my brother happens to live!  OKAY David actually lives in Belton but most need KC for a reasonable reference point.  He had a friend in the shop who lived in California for 27 years.  I hit a gold mine!!  So I had some tea and pineapple cake while waiting for Colleen and Melissa who happened to be at the shop next door to Ray's.  OF COURSE WE EXCHANGED NAMES!  I suspect I was actually in a political activist's headquarters.   Almost EVERYTHING in Taiwan can be small and unassuming.  The American Flag and a Taiwanese flag, maybe it was a proposed one, flying from the 3rd floor was a bit of a giveaway.  And the brochure on Citizenship Rights!   And the TAIWAN IS NOT CHINA discussion.  I don't think I am now on a watch list.......  hopefully a visit will happen next year.

Melissa headed back to work after dropping us at Houyi MRT so we could ride home or go shopping.  Yep more shopping and a movie.  The Adjustment Bureau http://www.theadjustmentbureau.com/ was pretty good.  Colleen only needed Matt Damon.  A decent story.  Within the somewhat slow action it opens a few doors about a higher level of control and influence in our lives and even mentions free will.  Maybe angels, maybe somebody else.  It DOES give an opportunity to think about our faith and how to express it.   While I was waiting for Colleen after the movie one of the staff asked me how I liked the movie and as we talked he mentioned how he thought it was about faith...........Hmmm.  I said I was a Christian and he said he was too, yet one of his reactions as I mentioned it is about God in our lives and Jesus in our hearts was not easy to interpret nor was it appropriate to explore.  THAT is next year's territory.  How do I know......he remembered me as the guy who lost his bag last year!!!  yep same theatre, same guy helped me then but I did not remember.   Taiwan bridges!!!!

If that wasn't enough on our way home on the MRT a young man got up to offer me his seat.  Which Colleen figured I NEEDED to take.  I noticed the girl beside  me was studying an English phrase book.  WELL they have midterms very soon  AND the boy used to live in Wisconsin.  the girl got off a few stops after he did which happened to be ours!  So another friendly farewell and encouragement for a midterm test.

Just another day out and about in Kaohsiung!!!!!

1 comment:

Brenda BE said...

The world is smaller than we think...especially when we are in an airplane for what seems to be forever. Your narrative of meeting people from familar places reminded me of hearing someone yell out my name in San Cristobal, Mexico . I couldn't believe that someone knew me there.