Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Another exploring day.....

While Colleen and Melissa were at the Business Women's Coffee today I explored the road to the Martyr's Shrine and then meandered back to pick them up. I really am enjoying exploring and familiarizing with the city. I even got a parking spot right next to the Howard Plaza Hotel to pick them up! I FREQUENTLY get a very close parking stall in Kaohsiung when it is typical to park 1-3 blocks from your destination.

I walked around the grounds of the Shrine, read many of the captions talking of the various uprisings in China during the early 1900's. I had expected it to be more recent but most of this is prior to the Communist rule. There is a memorial to the 228 massacre but I didn't find it in my wanderings. I only know a bit but here is a summary from wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/228_Incident. In some ways it bears a resemblance to the Estevan Riot of 1931 where a number of demonstrating miners were killed by police. People believing in righting a wrong can often pay a high personal price.

My mind wanders a bit to the people each reading this may think of.......Jesus paid a price for each of us! The difference is He is divine but none the less the willingness to suffer for someone else creates some pensive moments.

Oh, IKEA had a great roast beef and mashed potatoes lunch today. We were looking for some big pillows for Melissa to use in her common area. We're still looking for just the right thing to go on the raised platform.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I enjoy the wandering around and exploring in new places to. I think it helps me to know where I am and then also to see and find new things. All of it is good. I am so glad you can enjoy your time there.
Ernest